Welcome to the Fall 2016 semester teaching online at Leeward Community College. I hope the following information will help you to get off to a great start in your online courses.
Every semester, new Laulima sites are automatically created for every course you teach. It is up to you to set up each course.
Get your Laulima courses ready
- Turn Laulima tools on and off
- Copying course material from one course to another
- Publish & unpublish Laulima courses
- Managing course tabs (display, hide and re-order)
- Request a course
If you have a question about Laulima you may want to refer to Laulima @ Leeward. If you need further help with Laulima please sign-up for an appointment.
If students do not see your course in Laulima
If your students do not see your course listed in the blue tab bar, check if it is listed under the under the “My Active Sites” tab. If it is not there, please fill out a “Request Assistance” form and provide detailed information about the course you are looking for.
Laulima Orientation Activity
Face-to-Face Laulima Orientation Activity for New DE Students
The Educational Media Center will be providing a face-to face Laulima Orientation Activity
Saturday August 20th from 8:00-9:00 am Room LC102 for new students on how to use Laulima. All DE students have received email notifications inviting them to the orientation activity.
Online Laulima Orientation Activity for New DE Students
The Educational Media Center also provides the Laulima Orientation Activity online for DE students. Here are the directions to complete the activity.
- Join the De student orientation Laulima course. After you log into Laulima, in the “My Workspace” tab to the left scroll down and click on “membership.”Once that pops up click on joinable sites. Scroll down until you see “DE Student Orientation. If it is not visible at first go to the top right where it says “show 20 items…” Click on the drop bar and click on “show 200 items…” then look for the DE course. Once you find the DE course click “join” right underneath it.After that you can find the course by either scrolling up and clicking on my “My Current Sites” or by clicking the “My Active Sites” tab at the very top of the page
- Here is a short video on how to join the DE Student Orientation course in Laulima. http://youtu.be/WR-bT93mkU4
- Complete the Laulima DE Orientation Activity Sheet. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fIdPkTnyubD8nxGlcsTdj0duv5VXacrbIfyp7DwY_ZM/viewform
eCAFE is the ONLY online evaluation system used for distance courses at Leeward Community College. eCAFE is the official application for Course And Faculty Evaluations at the University of Hawaii. It is a UH system wide tool for faculty across all campuses to gather feedback from the students at the end of a course. Instructors and students login with their regular UH username and password. Please be mindful of the set-up period for Course evaluations.
Ecafe Online Course Evaluation Basics
Interactive Tutorials for Your Students
- iLearn@Leeward is a site dedicated to helping distance students.
- iTeach– dedicated to helping distance faculty. Here are a few resources you can find at this site.
- Leeward CC Distance Education Guidelines
- Leeward Test Center administers on-line testing for Distance Education courses
- DE Peer Evaluation Form
- Online Course Examples
- Adding Guests in Laulima
Fall 2016 Online Workshop
- The Teaching Online Challenge Starts September 12th. http://blogs.leeward.hawaii.edu/iteach/teachonline/
Finally, if at anytime you need assistance with your online course please email me at:
I hope you have a rewarding semester. Please feel free to contact me by phone or email if you have any questions or concerns.
Distance Education Coordinator