For a number of years Leeward CC has maintained a type of technology classroom known as Smart Classrooms. Leeward Smart Classrooms are classrooms that have been enhanced with college supported teaching technologies such as an internet connected computer (Macintosh with the option to load virtual Windows operating system), computer projector with screen, amplified speakers and a laser pointer. The college has begun phasing out Smart Classrooms and shifting to Technology Enhanced Classrooms (TECs) which are built upon a sustainable infrastructure.
The TECs include a college supported, internet connected computer (Macintosh with the option to load virtual Windows operating system), a laser video projector with screen, amplified speakers and a laser pointer. What you may not see on the surface is the behind the scenes infrastructure (cabling, software and controllers) that enable future replacement and upgrades to individual components over a longer period of time.
Speaking of time, as you are probably aware at this moment much of our college courses are being delivered online. In planning for a future in which we will return to mix of online and in-person we may also experience growth in the hybrid delivery modality. In support of hybrid delivery the college has assembled “Hybrid Kits” and integrated them into the TECs. A TEC + Hybrid Kit is comprise of the TEC technologies with the addition of document camera, HDMI (input) capture card, a second web camera, a graphics tablet and a wireless lanyard microphone.
Learn more about these Hybrid Kit technologies and how they can integrated into your hybrid teaching below.
Looking for a way to capture an object or a simple demonstration to share online through Zoom or through a classroom projector in a socially distanced classroom, consider using the Elmo document camera. Document camera devices are a part of the Hybrid Kit installed in TECs, in addition a limited amount that are available for loan through EMC AV Services.
- Are flexible, high resolution, easy to use.
- Can be used with Zoom online conferencing.
- Can zoom in and to show small details of three dimensional objects.
- Have a high quality camera for capturing printed text.
- Capture handwriting and diagrams written on paper (analogous to using an overhead).
HDMI (input) Caption Card
Expand your presentation possibilities, incorporate video from auxiliary devices. Share content from a connected external video source through your Zoom session. The Hybrid Kit includes an HDMI (input) capture card that will allow you to accomplish this. In addition to this a limited number of capture cards available for loan through EMC AV Services.
- DVD or Blu-ray player
- Document camera
- Laptop, Chromebook
Step away from the lectern computer and be seen! Learn about our latest addition to the Hybrid TECs, a tripod mounted camera and microphone. Great for capturing wide shots (with audio) of your in-room audience or of yourself teaching with Zoom. In addition to this a limited number of field kits with these Zoom video recorders are available as well as a few auto tracking OBSbot web cameras, available for loan through EMC AV Services.
Tripod mounted camera:
- Can be used with Zoom for online conferencing.
- Can be re-positioned to capture different perspectives.
- Has a built in microphone.
- Can be used for making recordings.
Hybrid TECs are now equipped with a Wacom One graphics tablet. Experience writing, drawing diagrams or annotating on the Zoom whiteboard using a tablet and stylus (Tablet is approximately 6″ x 3.7″, not wireless). In addition to this a limited number of larger wireless graphics tablets available for loan through EMC AV Services.
Clear and intelligible audio is very important to remote audiences. The Hybrid Kit includes a wireless lanyard microphone to support your movement throughout the classroom.
Document Camera (Full video 50 min.)
- (00:10) What can a document camera do?
- (02:00) How can I get access to an Elmo?
- (04:45) Modeling use of document camera supporting a learning activity
- (09:22) Modeling Zoom Annotation.
- (08:30) Modeling Wacom tablet.
- (12:10) Alternatively consider writing or diagraming on plain white paper
- (13:29) Setting up Elmo camera
- (19:00) Audience engagement/ parts identification activity
- (22:40) Operating Panel (Buttons)
- (26:51) Audience engagement/ button identification
- (29:00) Connecting Ports
- (33:59) Supporting software (Zoom, Camera app)
- (38:00) Software for recording a stand alone video
- (40:00) Q&A: capture and save a still image
- (45:00) Q&A: on length of equipment loan
- (47:22) Q&A: additional use of Wacom graphics tablet
HDMI (input) Capture Card (Full video 6 min.)
Secondary Video Camera (Full video 5 min.)
Graphics Tablet (Full video 6 min.)
Wireless Microphone (Full video 2 min.)
Leeward CC EMC
- Educational Media Center
- AV Services (inquire about loanable technology)
- Leeward ITG Help Desk (trouble with TEC)
- Educational Technology Consultation Request Form (request room orientation)