Participants in this workshop will actively design an online course they will teach.
Objective: During this workshop participants will create an online course using a three step design process.
- Decide, categorize and list each activity and assessment and corresponding point value.
- Decide and assign each activity and assessment (including non graded items) to a weekly schedule.
- Create a weekly topic for each week of an online course.
Starting to Teach Online is your online resource (textbook).
- Please review each of the nine steps to quality online learning developed by Tony Bates. Starting to Teach Online links to each of Tony’s nine steps.
- Below the link to the posts you will see a “more” button that takes you to Key points and summary of each step.
- Please read the nine key points and summaries.
- Introduction of the three step process and Google Documents and Sites.
- Discussion on the process and the nine steps to quality online learning.
- Begin Step 1 using your DE Course Design Step 1 google document.
- Locate and list student learning outcomes for the course you will be teaching online. Brainstorm and list each of your activities, assessments and corresponding point value.
- Step 1 example
- Begin Step 2 using your DE Course Design Step 2 google document.
- Organize your activities and assessments into a weekly schedule.
- Step 2 example
- Begin Step 3 by creating a UH Google Site (works great in Laulima) using the Leeward CC- Weekly Template.
- Discussion on each of the 7 components in a weekly template.
- weekly template job aid
- Step 3 example
- Other Weekly Templates Examples